Wednesday 10 September 2014

The Talisman Guild 1976

Before Eddie Borgo, before Anita Ko, there were a plethora of jewellers cashing in on the pyramid theme. And I'm not just talking about King Tut ;-)

In 1976, a mail order entrepreneur got a US patent on "The Talisman Guild" and started selling gold-tone pyramid pendants. Each featured an inner chamber in which one could place their innermost wishes and desires for the magic pyramid to fulfill, complete with inner magnet...and we all know the power of magnetic jewelry (eye roll)! They were also each stamped with a unique serial number.

I have no idea how much they sold for in 1976 or what the expectations of the buyers were. But I do know my mom bought one - serial number 60576 - and that I found it while going through a box she designated as garbage during a move in 2014. Inside, I found her nearly four-decade-old "wish" - a simple piece of paper with mine and by brother's name on it.

Being more pragmatic than sentimental, I quickly realized the value in this discarded bauble. It was quite chipped on the corners, and I prefer silver, so a quick coat of metallic paint has created a new pendant. Inside I christened it with a new wish: "Health + Safety + Financial Prosperity = Our Travel & Life Dreams". Amen (or whatever the Egyptian equivalent of that is).

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment